Fun, festive and just in time for Christmas!
- Vanilla cake mix
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Red and Green gel food coloring
- Powdered sugar
- Whipping cream
Vanilla Cake Mix: Any brand or vanilla/butter/white variety will work. Just be sure to stick with a “standard” size box of cake mix. Anywhere from 15-18 oz is fine.
Plain Greek Yogurt: If desired, it can be replaced with sour cream.
Oil: Use a neutral tasting oil. Canola, sunflower or vegetable oil will all work.
How to Make:
- Preheat your oven and line TWO 15 x 10 flat rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make batter. Then, divided batter into two separate bowls. Tint one bowl with green food coloring, the other with red.
- With a piping bag, pipe the batter diagonally on top your prepared pan. Alternating between the two colors. Repeat with the second pan.
- Tip: If you do not have a piping bag, a large plastic freezer/food storage bag can be used. Add the batter into the storage bag and cut a small hole in one corner of the bag.
- Remove from oven and let the cakes cool for just 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of your cake with powdered sugar, then, cover with a clean cloth.
- Place a second, larger flat rimmed baking sheet on top of the towel and carefully flip the cake over. This will remove the cake from the pan.
- Remove the parchment paper. Then, roll the warm cake into the dishtowel ( from the 10 inch side). Repeat with second pan.
- Let it cool completely.
- Make whipped cream filling.
- Once the cakes are cooled, carefully, unroll and spread with the whipped cream filling.
- Roll the cake back up tightly and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Yes, this batter will make two roll cakes, if the batter is baked in 15 x 10 flat rimmed baking sheets. If you use a larger pan, you may get just one cake and may have to adjust your baking time.