An easy cake that starts with a cake mix and is filled with fresh sweet rhubarb and strawberry flavor. Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream for the perfect finishing touch.
I never realized the joys of rhubarb until a few years back. We moved into our new home and smacked dab in the middle of the yard was a good size rhubarb plant.
Of course, I made cake with it. Because, well, I love cake. However, you can make a wide variety of recipes with it. Be sure to check out the photo collage at the bottom of the post of few more!
What Ingredients are Needed for this Cake?
- Yellow cake mix
- Strawberry gelatin
Cake Mix: Yellow, vanilla or a white cake mix will all work. You will need a standard size box ( 15-18 oz).
Strawberry Gelatin: AKA “Jell-O”. You can also use a brand equivalent . Remember, you only need the gelatin powder. Don’t prepare the box.
- You only eat the stalks. Not the leaves! When buying or picking, make sure the stalks are firm and crisp.
- If the leaves are still attached, make sure they are fresh and unwilted.
- You can store fresh rhubarb in your fridge for 3-4 days. Be sure it’s clean and it will keep well in a plastic bag.
- For this recipe, you will need 4 cups of chopped rhubarb.
How to Make Your Rhubarb Dump Cake:
- First, in a bowl, toss your chopped rhubarb with sugar. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, spread the mixture in to the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Next, sprinkle the strawberry gelatin powder and dry cake mix on top.
- Melt the butter and water and pour it on top of it all.
- Bake it. It will be ready when the top is brown.
More Simple Cakes to Try:
- Banana Bread Dump Cake
- Two Ingredient Raspberry Angel Food Cake
- Strawberry Pineapple Cake
- Pumpkin Dump Cake