Cheesy mozzarella sticks made with egg roll wrappers and string cheese. Cooking them in your air fryer gives them a nice crunch and keeps them low in fat.
Each time that I use my air fryer, I like it more and more. In the past, making homemade mozzarella sticks were too messy ( cooked in oil) or never got enough crunch on them ( in the oven). Making them in the air fryer gives them a really nice crunch and of course, doesn’t require any oil to clean up afterwards.
✔ Less clean up. ✔ Less fat. Sounds good to me. ✔
- Mozzarella string cheese
- Egg roll wrapper
String Cheese: Look for these in your regular cheese section. They usually come in a regular and low fat variety.
Egg Roll Wrappers: In most grocery stores, these are found in the produce section ( they are refrigerated). Just be sure to get egg roll wrappers and not wonton wrappers.
How to Make (detailed instructions in recipe card)
- First, cut your string cheese in half.
- Next, place a piece of string cheese at the top of the wrapper. Fold in the sides and roll the cheese into the wrapper. Seal the end with a bit of water.
- After spraying your air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray, cook a few sticks for 5 minutes. Give them a light toss, then, cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
A few notes:
- When cooking the sticks, do just a few at a time. Don’t over crowd your basket.
- Cooking time may vary, depending on your air fryer. For your first batch, cook just 1 or 2 mozzarella sticks to test.