Fluffy, soft cinnamon rolls made with a cake mix shortcut. These decadent chocolate rolls are easy to whip up and are a delicious sweet treat.
Looking for an absolutely fabulous cinnamon roll to make?! You must try these Chocolate Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls. They will quickly become your go-to cinnamon roll recipe.
What Supplies Do I Need?
- Mixing bowl + Wooden spoon or Electric mixer + mixing bowl (see below recipe note)
- 2-Small bowls
- Rolling pin
- Sharp knife
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Pastry brush
- 9 x 13 baking pan
Your Ingredients List:
- Chocolate cake mix (dry)
- Active dry yeast
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
A Brief Instruction Guide to Your Chocolate Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls:
- In a bowl, dissolve your yeast with water.
- Then, in a mixing bowl,add in dry cake mix, a portion of the flour and yeast mixture. You will keep adding portions of the flour until your dough is formed and comes together in a ball shape.
- Cover your dough and let it rise for about an hour. It should double in size.
- When ready, gently punch down the dough and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle that should be approx 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush the dough with melted butter, then, sprinkle with brown sugar/cinnamon.
- Next, roll the dough tightly into a log. Start with a long end and work slowly!
- With a sharp knife, slice into 12 rolls and place in your prepared baking dish.
- Let the roll rise until they have doubled in size. This could take 30 minutes to an hour.
- When they are ready..bake!
- Mix glaze ingredients and frost on warm rolls.
- Top them off with chocolate chips before serving. (Makes them even better!)
Do My Rolls Have to Be Chocolate?
- Nope! This recipe is easily adapted to any flavor cake mix. Be sure to stick with a standard size box of cake mix for the below ingredients to work . It should be approx 18 oz in size.
No electric mixer?
- I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook for these rolls. However, you can make them in a regular mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.