Making a layer cake in your instant pot is simple! All you need is a box of your favorite cake mix and your creativity.
When I decided to bake a cake in my instant pot, I was hesitant. I mean, a cake? A layer cake? In my instant pot?
Well, like the brownies..I was pleasantly surprised!
This layer cake starts with a cake mix and tastes amazing. It was also really simple to make.
Supplies Needed: 2- 6 inch round cake pans ( see recipe card) + your favorite way to grease them. You will also need foil to cover pans. Lastly, an electric mixer + mixing bowl and of course, measuring cups + spoons.
- Dry cake mix
- Milk ( will replace water, as called for on the box)
- Eggs (normally, a cake mix will call for 3, you will need 4)
- Plain Greek yogurt ( will replace oil, as called for on the box)
Cake Mix: Any flavor will work. Just stick with a “standard” size package.
Plain Greek Yogurt: If you don’t have any on hand, sour cream can be used instead.
Frosting: I used a full container of packaged chocolate frosting. Plus, about one fourth of a second container to frost the whole cake and add a bit of piping.
How to Make an Instant Pot Layer Cake:
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into your instant pot and place the steam rack into the pan. Be sure the handles are up, making removal easier.
- Then, make your batter and spread it evenly into 2 greased 6 inch baking pan. Cover both with foil and stack them on top of the rack.
- Cover the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, do a natural release for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pans from the pot and let them cool for about 5 minutes. Then, remove the foil and cool completely before frosting.
Love a Layer Cake? Try these too:
- Double Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake
- Lemon Layer Cake
- Peppermint Layer Cake
- Custard Filled Chocolate Layer Cake