Crispy, crunchy and flavorful! Making onion rings in your air fryer keeps the fat and clean up to a minimum.
- 1 medium size yellow onion
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Dried spices: Garlic powder- Onion powder – Paprika- Salt/Pepper
Onion: Yellow is what I like to use for onion rings. They are a bit sweeter and a little less strong in flavor than the white variety. With that being said, a white onion will also work.
How to Slice the Onion: First, remove the peel of the onion. Then, slice the onion crosswise about 1/4 inch thick. Then, seperate the onion into individual rings.
Panko Breadcrumbs: I prefer to use panko breadcrumbs for these. They are lighter than using regular breadcrumbs and give the onion rings a nice crunchy coating. If you wish, regular breadcrumbs can be used instead.
How to Make:
- First, slice onion ( see above for how to)
- Next, set up three shallow dishes. Your first dish will contain the beaten eggs. The second will contain flour and dried spices. The last dish will contain the breadcrumbs.
- Take one raw onion ring and coat it first in the flour mixture, next, in the eggs. Finally, coat it in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining raw onion rings.
- They are ready to cook.
A few things to note:
- Spray the basket of your air fryer before adding the onion rings for cooking.
- Be sure to work in batches. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Cooking time may vary, depending on your air fryer. For your first batch, cook just 1 or 2 rings to test.