Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting- – The classic cupcake combination. Super red cupcakes topped with a creamy cheese frosting. Dreamy ♡
- Flour + Salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Red gel food coloring
- Vinegar + Baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
Cream Cheese and Butter: Be sure they are both softened well. If they are too cold or too melty, it will affect the texture of your cupcakes and frosting.
Red Food Coloring: I prefer a gel food coloring. It makes the colors pop a bit more. However, go with your preferred brand/variety.
Can I Use a Natural Food Coloring? Yes. If you wish, go with a natural food coloring. The cupcakes pictured were made with a gel food coloring. So, with a natural, your color may differ.
Buttermilk: None on hand? Simply whisk a half a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Then let it sit for 5 minutes before adding it to your batter.
How to Make and A Few Notes:
- First, line a 12 count muffin/cupcake pan with liners and preheat your oven.
- Next, whisk together your dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar. Then, add in egg and food coloring.
- Gradually, add in your dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternate between the two until it is all fully combined. Lastly, mix in your baking soda/vinegar. Beat to just combine.
- Don’t over mix your batter. This can give you dense cupcakes.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake.
- Let your cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Store leftover cupcakes in a covered container. No need to refrigerate, unless it’s very hot/humid in your area.
Can I Freeze these Cupcakes? Yes. Store the cupcakes in a freezer safe, covered container/storage bag. Be sure no air can get in! They will stay good in the freezer for a couple of months.