Honey Hoisen Crispy Tofu is a great meatless dinner option! Serve with a side of brown rice and your favorite veggie for an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
Don’t freak out= = = Today, I’m sharing a tofu recipe.
I know, this is something that isn’t posted here at Table for Seven. But, we’ve been giving a few easy tofu recipes a whirl at dinnertime and friends, they are pretty darn tasty.
A few things to note about tofu:
- It’s a great meatless option for any meal.
- Totally versatile. You can have tofu for breakfast–lunch–dinner.
- It’s low in calories! Plus, it has many other health benefits.
- I can get a 10 oz package of this tofu for about $2.00. That made this entire dish and fed 4-5 of us. #GoodforMyBudget
How to Make Honey Hoisen Crispy Tofu:
- Start by “pressing” your tofu. Tofu is packaged in quite a bit of water. Pressing it will remove excess water and make cooking with it much more efficient.
- To Press Your Tofu: Line a flat rimmed baking sheet with paper towels or a clean dish towel. Place the tofu on top, the another layer of towel (s). Then, you want to place a heavy plate/bowl/skillet on top and finally, weight that down. Do this for at least 30 minutes or even longer. The longer it’s pressed, the better.
- When ready, cut your tofu into about 1 inch pieces.
- In a bowl, toss tofu pieces with canola oil, cornstarch and soy sauce.
- Place these pieces on a flat rimmed baking sheet ( lined with parchment), then, bake. This will give your tofu the crunchy texture.
- After baking, toss the tofu pieces in a skillet with your hoisen honey sauce. This should only take 5-8 minutes.
The honey hoisen sauce is a sweet sauce and goes great with side of brown rice. Picky kids will even like it! Don’t be afraid to try a little Honey Hoisen Crispy Tofu or any tofu. You will be pleasantly surprised. 🙂