Moist cake with a rich caramel sauce and fresh bananas! A twist on the classic “upside down” cake.
Have a few ripe bananas on your counter? Browse the recipe index for a few ideas on how to put them to use.
Banana cake with a caramel sauce and fresh bananas right on top?! Sign me up. 🍌
Your Baking Supplies:
- 9 inch round cake pan + non stick cooking spray
- Electric mixer + mixing bowl
- Measuring cups + spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Flat rimmed baking sheet
Ingredients for your Banana Upside Down Cake:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Chopped nuts (optional)
Let’s Make a Cake:
- Grease your baking pan well.
- Slice bananas into coin shape pieces. Set aside.
- Next, add brown sugar and butter into your baking pan. Place them in a preheated oven for just a few minutes. You just want to melt them.
- Remove from the oven and make sure the mixture is evenly distributed and mixed on the bottom of the pan. A rubber spatula works great for this.
- Place your coin-shaped bananas on top of the melted mixture.
- Once your batter is mixed, spread it on top of the sliced bananas.
- Once your cake is baked, let it sit for approx 10-15 minutes. Then, take a large plate/platter and place it on top of the cake. Carefully, flip the cake over and remove the pan. Take any remaining caramel sauce from the pan and drizzle on top.
- The cake can potentially spill over the pan a bit when baking. Place your baking pan on a large flat rimmed baking sheet to catch any batter.
- For an easier cake flip, use a plate/platter than is larger than your cake pan.
- Don’t leave your cake in the pan too long before flipping. It will be tougher to get out.
- If you don’t have enough sauce on the bottom of your pan or if you simply want more for serving, melt a few tablespoons of butter with brown sugar in a saucepan and mix well. This will give you a bit more sauce.